Post subject: Switch in cervical cancer vaccine
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:36 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15879222

Quote:
The human papilloma virus can cause cervical cancer and genital warts

The Department of Health has decided to change the vaccine it uses to protect girls against cervical cancer throughout the UK.

From September next year it will use the Gardasil jab, which also offers protection against genital warts - one of the most common sexually transmitted infections.

Some sexual health experts criticised the decision in 2008 when the Department of Health opted for the cheaper of the two vaccines on offer - Cervarix.

Both vaccines protect against human papilloma virus (HPV) types 16 and 18, which cause more than 70% of cervical cancer.

But Gardasil, which the Department of Health has now opted for, also protects against HPV types six and 11 which cause nearly all genital warts.

Figures from the Health Protection Agency show that 75,000 people were diagnosed with genital warts in 2010.

Professor David Salisbury, the Government's Director of Immunisation, said: "It's not unusual for the NHS to change vaccines or other medicines - it can happen following competitive tendering exercises or when new research findings come to light."

He denied that the wrong choice of vaccine had been made three years ago, adding that the decisions then and now were both "scientifically and economically justifiable".

Dr Steve Taylor, consultant in sexual health medicine at Birmingham Heartlands hospital said the news was "fantastic".

He added: "In Australia the burden of genital warts has fallen dramatically since the introduction of the quadrivalent vaccine (Gardasil).

"We felt last time round the decision was based on the vaccine cost, and yet the reduction in the burden on sexual health clinics was not taken into account."

Gardasil, made by Sanofi Pasteur MSD, is the most widely used of the two vaccines. Eighty million doses have been distributed worldwide compared to 25m of Cervarix, which is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline.

Girls are offered the HPV vaccine at secondary school when aged 12-13.

The Department of Health says 400 deaths a year from cervical cancer will be prevented by the vaccination programme.

Is your daughter vaccinated? Do you plan on having her vaccinated? Tell us your thoughts.

Any opinions expressed by me in this forum are my own and not those of I've Got Kids (mEazy Ltd.) unless stated otherwise.

Post subject: Re: Switch in cervical cancer vaccine
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:56 am 

My 13 year daughter has not been vaccinated, This was something we both had many discussions about, I thought am i failing as a parent in not encouraging her to have this vaccination. She is rather an intelligent young lady more so than me and had did her background on the subject prior to our discussions. She thought the vaccination was relatively new and did not want to be a guinea pig also even at age 12 she has decided that she wont have sexual partners when a young teen as her education /career will come first. this might all seem a little naieve for me to believe but i do think she has the personality not to want a sexual realtionship while young. She does tell me she will await marraige before having a sexual relationship (i knew her jesuit catholic school would pay off lol) She also said that she knew that the vaccine works the early it is taken and that for herself she will wait til she is older before considering this again. she is not alone in her school for opting out.

Then i have an 11 year old who i will have to sit down and discuss this with for next year, not sure how that will go as she has none of the traits of her sister and has very different ideas. though one thing for sure there will b a lot more information available about the vaccinations. i shall keep you posted on the next decision.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:56 am 

My daughter is vacinated :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

HopeIsAllWeHave wrote:
My daughter is vacinated :)

Mine too :)
Aly

Any opinions expressed by me in this forum are my own and not those of I've Got Kids (mEazy Ltd.) unless stated otherwise.