Post subject: Making sure your daughter has a good fitting bra
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 am 
Site Admin

Bra

Once your daughter develops breasts, take her to get her first bra. Make sure it's fitted properly. Most large department stores offer a bra fitting service including Marks & Spencer and John Lewis.

If she is too shy to be fitted, you can fit her yourself by following this guide. To help avoid her shyness during the measuring process, try to take all measurements from the side of her body, and not looking directly at her.

Take the measurement (in inches) from just under her bust, right around her ribcage. Make sure the tape measure is not loose, but also not so tight that she can't breathe! She needs to be relaxed and not holding her breath. It should be resting smooth and straight across her back and where the crease of bust meets her ribcage. If she doesn't have a crease, then simply measure under her swollen breast area. The measurement you are taking here is her back measurement. If the measurement is an even number (eg 28") add four inches and if the measurement is an odd number (eg 27"), then add five inches. In this example, this would result in a back measurement of 32".

To find the cup size measure around her body again, on the fullest part of her breast. The difference between your original measurement and this one will determine her cup size. If there's less than 1 inch - AA cup, 1 inch - A cup, 2 inches - B cup, 3 inches - C cup, 4 inches - D cup, 5 inches - DD cup, 6 inches - E cup, 7 inches - F cup, etc... So for example, if her back size was 28in and her bust size is 30in, her final bra size will be a 32B.

In your opinion, are the clothing manufacturers encouraging our children to grow up too fast by making bra's for children as young as 7? When will you consider buying your daughter her first bra?

Post subject: Re: Making sure your daughter has a good fitting bra
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm 

While the guideline for bra measurements are great i finally took my nearly 12 year old for her first bra fitting. i had sort of been guessing her size. which i had it down as a 30a. so off we went to marks and spencers who are doing a £5.00 off bras and pants if you get measured. turned out my sizing was totally wrong and she was a 32c. if any of you have girls i would recommend getting them a proper fitting. they explain why developing girls need non rigid wired bras and also to leave some room for development and as i mentioned getting £5.oo off is a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

model_wife wrote:
While the guideline for bra measurements are great i finally took my nearly 12 year old for her first bra fitting. i had sort of been guessing her size. which i had it down as a 30a. so off we went to marks and spencers who are doing a £5.00 off bras and pants if you get measured. turned out my sizing was totally wrong and she was a 32c. if any of you have girls i would recommend getting them a proper fitting. they explain why developing girls need non rigid wired bras and also to leave some room for development and as i mentioned getting £5.oo off is a bonus.

The fitting instructions above are pretty accurate. Did you guess, or did you use this method to measure her? It's not usual for even those companies who offer a bra fitting service to get it wrong, often compensating for back size in the cup or vice versa.

I wouldn't use an under-wire on a child at all... it can block the development of milk ducts for later in life :(

Love the idea of £5 off though! Thanks for that :)

Aly

Any opinions expressed by me in this forum are my own and not those of I've Got Kids (mEazy Ltd.) unless stated otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:03 pm 

I had not read your article on bra fitting. so it was just guess work, hence how i got it so wrong. The other daughter is not keen to be measured by a strange woman ( thats her name not mine) so i will have to arm myself with a tape measure and a print out of your guide sizes.