Post subject: Can you dye hair whilst pregnant?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:56 am 
Site Admin

Zoyas Unisex Salon

It is a well-known fact that when you fall pregnant your body experiences many changes, including the hair. Some women may find their hair grows much faster. Because of this, those with coloured hair will see roots showing more frequently than before. So this begs the question: Is it safe to dye your hair whist pregnant? We spoke to our resident hairdresser, Gareth and he had this to say...

In today’s society almost everybody colours their hair to keep up with latest trends and just because you have fallen pregnant, that doesn’t mean you should stop. It’s important to realise that you can still look your best, guilt free with the peace of mind that hair dyes today are a lot safer than they used to be.

Chemicals found in the most popular hair dyes available today contain very little toxic elements. Although there aren’t a great deal of publicised studies on the subject, it is believed by most medical professionals that dying your hair whilst pregnant will have no adverse effects on you or your baby. This is because most of the chemicals in the hair dyes are absorbed by the hair shaft itself, not the scalp. Therefore, only trace amounts of chemicals are actually absorbed into the bloodstream.

That being said, medical professionals would usually advise an expecting mother to avoid colouring her hair until at least 12 weeks into the pregnancy. This is because the baby is developing fastest during this first trimester and is therefore more susceptible to external chemicals.

It is also worth noting that all the extra hormones produced during pregnancy can have many different effects on your own body and indeed your hair. There is no guarantee that you would experience the same results from your regular hair dye as you normally do and it is always recommended to perform a strand test even if you have used the product before.

There are alternatives to a full-head colouring for those who prefer to remain cautious. For instance, you could opt for highlights or lowlights. When you highlight the hair, you usually apply the dye a few centimetres away from the scalp taking away the risk of absorbing anything into the bloodstream. Semi-Permanent dyes also have a lower amount of chemicals such as Ammonia and Peroxide and are therefore considered safer. You can also find less harmful products such as colour enhancers, toners and colouring shampoos which you can use to change the look of your hair without dying.

So the answer is yes, it is perfectly safe to colour your hair whilst pregnant. Many women do and haven’t experienced any problems. But it’s also good to know that for those who believe it simply isn’t worth the risk, there is always an alternative. If you have any questions, speak with your local hairdresser and always seek medical advice from a doctor or midwife.

You can email gareth at: [email protected]

What's the most drastic thing you've ever done to your hair?

Post subject: Re: Can you dye hair whilst pregnant?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:15 pm 

Hello :)
I'm ready, waiting and eager to answer your question's!
Gareth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

The most drastic thing i've ever done to my hair.. is the way i love to wear it permanently! bright red on top and black underneath.

admittedly whilst i was pregnant i didnt think much about my hair, i did notice though my hair and skin were great.. whilst the rest of my body was suffering lol

Any opinions expressed by me in this forum are my own and not those of I've Got Kids (mEazy Ltd.) unless stated otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:55 pm 

Hey!

Did you have the glow? You must have been one of the lucky ones hun, most women who I've done there hair for has dried out and lost its shine and become dull. But then there is some women like your self who report that their hair is great some say it's the best it's ever been! My best friend, she's pregnant and shes lucky, shes got it all going on the glow the shine everything.

As a hairdresser I've had many many different styles as you can imagine you have to promote what your doing, I cut and color my own hair.

From looking at your photo on your avatar your hair is fantastic!! :) Luv it hun x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Aww thank you.. and until recently yes my hair did look exactly like that!

but the time has taken it's toll.. and now i'm avoiding harsh colourants to give it time to recover. i get my hair cut every 6 weeks, i use Joico shampoo and conditioner and i've toned down the colour slightly.

I was lucky with my hair and skin whilst pregnant, goodness knows how because i was being sick throughout the day.. all through my pregnancy. how on earth i was keeping any nutrients down i'll never know lol.

Any opinions expressed by me in this forum are my own and not those of I've Got Kids (mEazy Ltd.) unless stated otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:38 pm 

Hello Stephanie,
Do you bleach your hair to get your required look? If you do, take at look at his site
http://www.stargazer-products.com/detai ... &style_id= I use these colours as there is no peroxide in there they are purely colourants and are so vibrant :) *Head turners actually ;) lol Also try take a look at this I always recommend this to my clients as I use this myself it WORKS WONDERS http://www.redken.com/products/haircare ... ron-repair

Gareth x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:40 pm 

Ps I forgot to add this one too http://www.redken.com/products/haircare ... -anti-snap ;) x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:45 pm 

When i was pregnant with both my girls my hair grew alot hence the length it is now ( and yep i love my hair at the length it is now too )however when i was pregnant with my son my hair didnt grow as much but my skin was awesome :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Gareth wrote:
Hello Stephanie,
Do you bleach your hair to get your required look? If you do, take at look at his site
http://www.stargazer-products.com/detai ... &style_id= I use these colours as there is no peroxide in there they are purely colourants and are so vibrant :) *Head turners actually ;) lol Also try take a look at this I always recommend this to my clients as I use this myself it WORKS WONDERS http://www.redken.com/products/haircare ... ron-repair

Gareth x

yeah.. that is what i used all the time.. and it was the bleaching before hand that was killing my hair off :(

i dont risk it too often now due to that.

i was getting my hair done at a local salon but it was costing me £30 a time and the colour would only last 2 weeks.. if that! (although they recommended i use stargazer in between visits lol)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:45 pm 

You should try the Redkin it is GREAT. The results are amazing! They really are. :)